What do I need to do to maintain my home in January?
As we enter the coldest months of the winter season in Edmonton it is important to make sure that your home is ready! Here is a quick list of the items in your home that need some extra love in the month of January:
- Clean Humidifier
- This is important as mineral deposits can build up and cause damage or clog the humidifier. To clean your humidifier a number of anti-scaling products can be used to simplify the cleaning process. You can purchase a sealer from any of the major home improvement stores.
- Check Carbon Monoxide and Smoke Detectors(Test and Change Batteries)
- It is important to ensure that these are working properly and they should be checked monthly.
- Clean Range Hood and Over the Range Microwave Filters
- Grease and fats build up in the filter as you cook and it is important to clean or change them monthly.
- Apply Grout Sealer to all Grout in your Home(it is good to do this every other year)
- Grout is a naturally porous material and if not sealed it will begin to discolour over time. You can purchase a sealer from any of the major home improvement stores.
- Seal all Granite Countertops
- Just like grout, your granite countertop is porous. To avoid damage or staining to your countertop sealing is recommended 2 times a year. You can purchase a sealer from any of the major home improvement stores.
For more information of maintaining your home check out this full guide from our friends over at the Alberta New Home Warranty Program.
Stay tuned for more monthly home maintenance tips!