What do I need to do to maintain my home in April?
As we enter the Spring Season in Edmonton it is important to make sure that your home is ready! Here is a quick list of the items in your home that need some extra love in the month of April:
- Check Eavestroughs and Downspouts
- Remove debris from your eavestrough each spring, so water can move efficiently from the roof and away from your home’s foundation.
- Inspect basement for water issues
- During the spring months, we experience melting snow and the spring rainfall. Your basement foundation may experience some leaking if there are cracks in the foundation or through the basement floor. Check the perimeter of your basement every spring to ensure that there are no signs of water in your basement.
- Inspect Roof Shingles
- The Spring is a good opportunity to check your roof shingles. While you are cleaning out your eavestroughs give your roof a once over to ensure that your shingles are in good condition.
- Check for Soil Settlement at Foundation
- As snow melts and new rain falls, you want to ensure that your foundation is ready for this added moisture. Check to make sure that no soil as settled around your home and if the soil has, be sure to correct it right away by topping the soil up to ensure there is positive grade around the foundation.
- Inspect Driveway and Walkways for Cracking
- Seasonal temperatures and varying precipitation may cause cracking to your driveway and sidewalks. Frost penetration can also cause heaving or settlement and change the direction of surface drainage.
- Clean Filters on Central Ventilation Systems(HRV’s)
- For more information on how to clean your HRV system please visit: https://www.lincolnberg.com/blog/2017/11/clean-maintain-heat-recovery-ventilatorhrv/
- Clean Intake Vent Screens
- Over the course of the winter months, your fresh air intake may get clogged with debris, clean this off monthly to ensure that your home is getting the fresh air it needs!
- Clean Humidifier & Check Humidity Level
- This is important as mineral deposits can build up and cause damage or clog the humidifier. To clean your humidifier a number of anti-scaling products can be used to simplify the cleaning process. You can purchase a sealer from any of the major home improvement stores. Your humidity level should be set at 40% when warmer weather arrives, each home is different though, so adjust accordingly.
- Check Carbon Monoxide and Smoke Detectors(Test and Change Batteries)
- It is important to ensure that these are working properly and they should be checked monthly.
- Clean Range Hood and Over the Range Microwave Filters
- Grease and fats build up in the filter as you cook and it is important to clean or change them monthly.
For more information of maintaining your home check out this full guide from our friends over at the Alberta New Home Warranty Program.
Stay tuned for more monthly home maintenance tips!