What do I need to do to maintain my home in May?
As we enter the Spring Season in Edmonton it is important to make sure that your home is ready! Here is a quick list of the items in your home that need some extra love in the month of May:
- Clean Humidifier & Check Humidity Level
- This is important as mineral deposits can build up and cause damage or clog the humidifier. To clean your humidifier a number of anti-scaling products can be used to simplify the cleaning process. You can purchase a sealer from any of the major home improvement stores. Your humidity level should be set at 40% when warmer weather arrives, each home is different though, so adjust accordingly.
- Check Carbon Monoxide and Smoke Detectors(Test and Change Batteries)
- It is important to ensure that these are working properly and they should be checked monthly.
- Clean Range Hood and Over the Range Microwave Filters
- Grease and fats build up in the filter as you cook and it is important to clean or change them monthly.
- Inspect Fences & Decks
- After the snow has melted you are going to want to check your deck for damage on either the deck boards or handrail. Over the course of the winter, the build-up of ice and snow can cause plenty of wear and tear on the surface of your deck. You may need to replace deck boards, paint, or stain your deck once a year to ensure it is protected from the elements.
- Check caulking and weatherstripping
- Check all your doors & windows to ensure caulking and weatherstripping are in good repair. If they need to be replaced you can visit your local hardware store and do some DIY or you can in a professional.
- Check Windows and Screens
- Check all windows to ensure that they are in good repair and if any of the window screens were damaged. If so you can visit your local hardware store to pick up new screens or call in a professional.
- Check Adjustable Steel Posts in the Basement
- Check your steel teleposts after the winter month to ensure that no settling has happened. If settling has occurred you can simply tighten the post or call in a professional to do that for you.
For more information of maintaining your home check out this full guide from our friends over at the Alberta New Home Warranty Program.
Stay tuned for more monthly home maintenance tips!