You’ve picked a home builder and you’ve nailed down the style of home that is right for you. You’ve found the perfect Edmonton community, and you’ve lined up a great builder. But before signing that contract, you still have to think about upgrades.
What upgrades will increase your home’s value? How much money do you have to spend? And how do you figure out what you need versus what you want?
Some upgrades you can easily forego, and other upgrades will make a huge difference in your life. Here are 5 of the most popular upgrades to help get you thinking about what you need.
- COUNTERTOPS. Countertops are expensive and tricky to install on your own. Some builders offer basic laminate counters and others are now offering granite. In the end, it all comes down to personal preference. Granite or marble can make a difference in costs of $1000-$5000 or more.
- LIGHTING. Lighting fixtures are an opportunity to reflect your personal style, and the right type of fixture can really set the ambiance of the room. If you’re not in love with the standard lighting fixtures, it’s easy enough to shop for and install your own.
- IN THE KITCHEN. It’s the heart of the home and the place where culinary magic happens. We’ve already covered countertops, so let’s think about storage. Does the pantry come with lighting and shelving? Is it large enough? What is the extra cost to upgrade this vs. doing it on your own post-build? In this case, there may not be a huge difference in cost, but you can’t argue with the convenience of having your home builder do install the shelving systems for you. Along with storage, you should also think about what kind of appliances you want. Also, when deciding whether you want to spend extra money upgrading kitchen appliances, consider factors such as size, features, and energy-efficiency.
- BATHROOMS. Having a bathroom off the master bedroom (also known as an ensuite) is a definite luxury you do not want to miss out on, especially if you’re sharing your home with children or a partner. While you’ve got the bathroom on your mind, what kind of shower or tub do you want? You can save thousands of dollars in the long-run by having these upgrades done in the construction process.
- FLOORING. To carpet or not to carpet; that is the question. Modern carpets are cushier and easier to keep clean than the scratchy carpets of yesteryear. Carpets will also be warmer on your feet—especially in our chilly Edmonton winters—but you might prefer to go carpet-less and opt for laminate, hardwood, or even ceramic tile.
This list could go on and on. There are so many ways to customize your living space. The most important thing is to take your time deciding. The choices you make at this stage in the build will likely be with you for some time, so take the time to pick upgrades that you will love looking at every day.